Taste: Balance / Great flavor
Texture: Thick honey
Aroma: Pine aroma
An authentic Greek honey derived only from pines from Greece and collected from April to November. The nutritional elements of honey make it really valuable and its thick texture, taste and aroma have made the honey popular among lovers and connoisseurs. Open the glass, look at the amber liquid and through a deep breath you will perceive the thriving pine forest smell.
A recent study that compared 18 honey varieties, both floral and forest honeys, found that Greek pine honey had the strongest anti-bacterial properties among the tested honeys. It was found to exert antibacterial effects against E. coli, S. marcescens, B. sphaericus, S. epidermidis, and B. subtilis. This intriguing study was published in The Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences in 2012.
If you’re looking for a sugar substitute that supplies your body with vital minerals, buy a jar of pine honey. According to a study published in the November 2009 issue of the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, pine honey is a particularly good source of potassium, but it also contains a number of other minerals, including calcium, phosphorus, sodium, iron, magnesium, and zinc.
Benefits for Health
● Rich in oligosaccharides. Pine tree honey is a rich source of oligosaccharides, natural sugar-based compounds with digestive benefits. More exactly, oligosaccharides have a probiotic action, supporting healthy gut flora. Actually, oligosaccharides are actually a component of dietary fiber, hence their beneficial action on digestive health.
● Has energizing and anti-hypoglycemic properties. Pine honey is basically sugar. It contains natural, non-refined sugars, primarily fructose and glucose. The sugars are taken in quickly by the body and give instant energy, making the honey ideal for when you become hypoglycemic and experience dizziness or fainting sensations. The honey helps manage hypoglycemia symptoms, giving one sufficient energy to have a chance to enjoy a more substantial and nutritious meal.
● Crystallizes very slowly. What makes pine honey crystallize slower than other varieties? When the fructose content in honey is higher than the glucose content, the resulting honey variety crystallizes slowly. This is also the case for pine honey and honeydew honey in general. It has been shown that it takes up to 18 months for certain pine honey varieties to crystallize. This is good because it gives us enough time to enjoy our jar of delicious honey before it begins forming crystals.
● Boasts antiseptic properties. The antiseptic properties of pine and other honey varieties are a result of the presence of several different components with antimicrobial effects, namely an enzyme from bees called glucose oxidase, the acidic pH and the low moisture content of the honey. Bees secrete glucose oxidase, which is an enzyme that helps synthesize hydrogen peroxide from glucose. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural disinfectant and immune modulating molecule.
Our own body produces hydrogen peroxide, which is used to call on white blood cells to repair cell damage and fight bacteria, viruses and other harmful agents. The presence of this particular compound in honey accounts for its antiseptic action.Moreover, the acidic pH of pine honey (4.6 to 4.8) further contributes to its antimicrobial effects. Lastly, the low moisture content inhibits bacteria growth, adding to the antibacterial action of the variety. Studies indicate the honey is effective even against pathogenic strains of E. coli and other bacteria that could infect the respiratory and digestive systems and skin. However, it is important to make sure you purchase real pine honey if you want to enjoy such health benefits.
● Great for sore throat and respiratory infections. Pine honey is helpful for respiratory tract infections because of its antimicrobial action. Moreover, its density and dry stickiness help it stick to the lining of the throat, allowing it to heal and calming inflammation and irritation. It can also help calm cough and promote phlegm expectoration.
● Is effective against Candida. There is research that suggests honey in general can efficiently combat Candida infections (Honey has an antifungal effect against Candida species). Candida is a type of yeast normally found in our respiratory and digestive tracts, reproductive system and on our skin. Imbalances in healthy microbiota (good bacteria) populations can cause Candida populations to get out of control, resulting in fungal infections. Because of its hydrogen peroxide content, honey can efficiently inhibit Candida growth, but it is important to consult a medical professional on the subject first.
● Excellent antioxidant source. Pine tree honey is a rich source of polyphenolic antioxidants, notably flavonoids. Antioxidants protect against the harmful action of reactive oxygen molecules called free radicals and exert an anti-inflammatory effect. Their prevent cell damage caused by oxidative stress that can encourage the development of chronic disease such as cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease etc. The strong antioxidant properties of pine honey and honey in general also accounts for the benefits of honey consumption.
● Source of vitamins and dietary minerals. Although found in trace amounts, vitamins and minerals are present in honey, adding to its benefits. Pine honey has been found to contain dietary minerals such as potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium and zinc, all of which contribute to the good health of the cardiovascular system, muscles, bones and immune system.
● Useful for skin conditions. Pine honey is also used externally for acne treatment in the form of face masks. It is said to improve pore and overall skin appearance, closing pores and giving skin a healthy glow. Honey in general has visible benefits on skin health, both cleansing the skin and tightening it for a more youthful and fresh appearance. In my experience, real honey, unaltered in any way, is a great tool for beautiful skin. You just have to apply a thin layer on the face, gently rubbing it in a little, leave it on for 15 or 20 minutes, then clean with lukewarm water. The results is instantly better looking skin.